Thursday, February 6, 2014

My First Job

Many teenagers would say that their first job was at a fast food joint like McDonald's or Burger King. Well, that was not the case me. My first job was at a park, a BIG park. They had five softball fields, a baseball field, a swimming pool, a field for football, and then the actual park. It was a long and hard job. I was covered in dirt from head to toe every single day when I came home (I can still sometimes feel the dirt compacted behind my ears). I started my first job the Monday after I graduated from high school; never had worked a day before in my life. I went from never working to working eight hours a day, five days a week. Mowing for five hours straight at times. Weed eating like no ones business (Which I had never done before in my life. In shorts I might add). Picking up trash, and cleaning bathrooms; since I was the only girl on staff. I came home one hot sunny day with a sunburn that was only on one side of my body because I had been sitting down on the mower the entire time. Of course, every girl wants to have an awesome farmers tan; but hey, it was the darkest I had been in a long time. All in all, I would have to say that it was a good first job. It taught me discipline and hard work. I am very glad that I do not work there anymore though. Working outside in the longing heat on a bright summers day is not what I would like to do for the rest of my life. It was good, but some things have to come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good first job to me. I consider my first job actually a small business accidentally started during high school...I cut class and hung out in the home ec room making custom prom dresses for my friends! It led to a career - the one I had before teaching. First jobs are important ...it shapes our futures. Nice post. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete